St James’ Organ


St. James' OrganOur 2x manual Compton electric pipe organ (of cinema organ fame) was installed in 1933 and has given many hours of great service. It has a detached console located in the North Chapel and an organ pipe box placed high at the west end of the nave. The case is of oak, made by local craftsmen in the 1950s, and originally held a royal plaque mounted on the front elevation and depicted the Royal Arms of Charles II circa 1660.

Both Organ Pipes and Console were refurbished in 2005 by Roger Greensted (our organ builders) at a cost of c£40,000 and the ‘coat-of-arms was replaced by an array of dummy organ pipes.

 

 

 


%d bloggers like this: